So i’ve been stalking the “fibromyalgia” tag on tumblr for a bit, and I’ve noticed that in the past two days, i’ve seen a lot of this.
“Fibro makes it so hard for me to do things and its still not a disability”
“now I know i’m not disabled, but I have fibromyalgia, and..”
Let’s go to the ADA. (Americans with Disabilities Act.)
Under ADA, an individual with a disability is a person who: (1) has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; OR (2) has a record of such an impairment; OR (3) is regarded as having such an impairment.
Now. Obviously, Fibromyalgia severely limits one or more major life activities, as is the requirement for a disability to be called, a disability.
Fibromyalgia makes it harder to walk, to eat, to shower, to wake up, to work, to play…
Fibromyalgia makes EVERYTHING harder.
Therefor, Fibromyalgia, IS A DISABILITY.
So no more saying “I know i’m not disabled, but….”
because you are actually disabled. And that is fucking okay.
You can go out and train a service dog to use for yourself, because you are disabled.
You can go to your doctors office and fill out paperwork for a disabled parking placard or even license plate.
Because you are disabled.
You can apply for disability because you cannot work (and then get turned down 3 times before finally getting it) Because you are disabled.
That’s it. End of story. So stop trying to make your illness seem smaller than it is, or feeling like you don’t get the same rights that the disabled do, because you have a disability, and it is bad. People can still be ableist towards you, even though you might not use a wheelchair or be missing a limb.
So yeah. Stay awesome, Fibro peeps - and embrace the fact that you have a disability.
- randyc09 reblogged this from helloelloh
- kerryburdisxo reblogged this from helloelloh and added:
- fuckyoulupus reblogged this from helloelloh
- sunshinessilhouette likes this
- kgstuff reblogged this from helloelloh and added:
- kgstuff likes this
- hahaharleygirl likes this
- sleepyduhlek reblogged this from chronicstupidity and added:
- queenofthegeese likes this
- theeleganteuropeanwoman reblogged this from chronicstupidity
- theeleganteuropeanwoman likes this
- chronicstupidity reblogged this from helloelloh
- danathepaina reblogged this from flutterflyinvasion and added:
- jenn336 likes this
- paperpoppystorebywheeliewifee likes this
- helloelloh likes this
- thelamedame reblogged this from helloelloh and added:
- gerutha likes this
- allthatisthecase reblogged this from flutterflyinvasion
- nocturnalvisionary likes this
- gentlemansspongebag reblogged this from helloelloh
- helloelloh posted this